How to Whiten DenturesPosted by
How to Whiten Dentures
Yellowish teeth are not very nice to look at. If you think you’ve gotten rid of this problem because you’re wearing dentures, you’re wrong. Dentures may also yellow due to coffee, cigarettes and other factors. Taking care of your dentures is just like caring for your natural teeth. If you’ve got problems on teeth stains, here are a few things you can do to keep your dentures white and clean all the time.
Cleaning Your Dentures
- The key to nice looking dentures is to clean them regularly. Ideally, you should clean your dentures 2-3 times a day. If this is not possible, try to clean them as often as you can. Regular stains can easily be removed by normal brushing and cleaning. This may be enough to keep your dentures clean and white.
- Clean your dentures over a bowl of water or in the sink with water so as not to damage them if you accidentally drop them while cleaning.
- It’s not recommended to use hot water for cleaning as this may deform your dentures.
- Baking soda. Make a paste of baking soda mixed with peroxide and use this to brush your dentures. You may also opt use strawberry instead of peroxide as an ingredient for your homemade whitening paste.
- White vinegar is also effective in keeping your dentures white.
- Bleach. Use bleach with caution as it may damage your dentures.
- Eat foods that help clear stains by stimulating saliva production. Saliva contains chemicals that help get rid of teeth stains. Some foods that you can eat are apples, pears, carrots and celery.
There are numerous whitening agents available in the market. Before getting one, it’s best to consult your dentist on what to get. Some products may contain substances that may not be so good on your dentures. Some products you may find are:
- Ultrasonic cleaner is a tool used by people with dentures who want the ease of being able to use different cleaning agents.
- Dental spa can be used to clean dentures, retainers and bite plates.
- Denture tablets whiten your dentures by effectively removing the stains.
- Dental strips. There are strips that you may use to whiten your dentures.
- Whitening kits. Various whitening kits contain all the things you need for whiter dentures.
The ultimate way to have white dentures is to avoid things that may stain your teeth.
- Don’t smoke. Nicotine stains your teeth and maybe hard to remove.
- Limit your intake of coffee and soda. These may also cause discoloration.
- Avoid red wine, cranberry and grape juices. Like coffee and soda, they also stain your dentures
- Visit your dentist regularly. He will be able to help you keep your dentures white and clean.
Keeping your dentures white and clean need not be expensive. All you have to do is to clean them regularly and eat foods that don’t stain too much. Take care of your dentures and keep smiling!