How to Transfer Bookmarks to a New ComputerPosted by
How to Transfer Bookmarks to a New Computer
When you browse the Internet, you’ll often find sites that you want to visit again and again, so what you do is bookmark them. These urls are saved on the browser on that particular PC, so if you need to move to a new unit, you’ll have to transfer them first. Here’s how to transfer bookmarks to a new computer properly.
What You’ll Need:
- PC with Internet access
- E-mail or flash drive
Exporting The Bookmarks
Browsers, such as AOL, Internet Explorer and Firefox, have a Bookmarks manager feature that allows users to easily access sites. It also lets the user export bookmark information. As long as you know where this managing feature can be found, you’ll have an easy time exporting your bookmarks. If you have a Firefox browser, here’s how to use this feature.
- Go to Bookmarks in the Menu bar, then click Organize bookmarks. There’s a new window that will pop up containing a list and description of your present bookmarks.
- Go to the File Menu and click “Export”. A file with all the bookmark information will be created.
- Enter a chosen file name, pick a file type, then click “Save”. It’s best to save your file as HTML, because the bookmarks are Web addresses.
- You can now transfer the file to the new computer. You can either save the file to a flash drive, then open it in the new PC, or you can just e-mail it to yourself, then open your e-mail in the new computer.
Importing The Bookmarks
Once you have the exported bookmarks file on your new computer, you now have to import it to your new browser. Here’s how.
- Transfer the bookmarks file to your hard drive by either downloading it from the e-mail or saving it from the flash drive. Put it on your PC desktop.
- Open Firefox on the new PC, then click on the Bookmarks drop down menu and go to Organize Bookmarks. Choose “Import” from the File menu.
- Select “From File”, as the method of import, then click “Next”.
- Find the file on your desktop, select it, then hit “Open”. Your old bookmarks can now be seen and used on your new browser.
You don’t have to worry about losing important bookmark information when you move to a new PC. Just follow these instructions, and you’ll once again access the sites you like.