How to Recharge BatteriesPosted by
How to Recharge Batteries
Batteries are not very cheap, especially the alkaline type. If you always need to use them, chances are you’ve already spent a lot of money. To solve this, you should just purchase rechargeable alkaline batteries and a high quality battery recharger. In the long run, this can save you bundles of cash.
What You’ll Need:
- Alkaline batteries
- Battery recharger
- Electrical outlet
- Purchase high-quality rechargeable batteries. They come in different brands; the more expensive the cost, the more efficient the batteries are. To maximize battery use, buy at least two pairs of batteries. When you’re using a freshly-charged pair, you can charge the other pair. This will save you the trouble of having to wait for the batteries to run out of charge again.
- Purchase a quality battery charger, made specifically for alkaline batteries. The prices can range from $10 to $50. Don’t buy a NiCad (nickel-cadmium) battery charger. It can’t properly detect if alkalines are fully charged already, leading to overcharging and eventually, battery damage.
- Check the battery’s manufacturer’s instructions on its charging time. Slow charging alkalines can take as long as eight hours, but there are some fast-charging types that only take an hour or two.
- When the alkaline batteries have used 25% of their charge, it’s time to re-charge them. Every time the batteries are drained to less than 75%, their lifespan is shortened. The deeper you discharge them, the more their lifespan is shortened.
- Put the alkaline batteries in the charger. Make sure you place them correctly, checking the + and – signs.
- Plug in the charger to an electrical outlet. If the charger is universal, the voltage should be charged no higher than 1.65 volts. High voltage charging can cause the manganese oxides’ chemical composition to change, leading to damage.
- If possible, use a timer to stop the charging process, so you won’t overcharge the batteries. Overcharging can affect their efficiency.
Charging batteries is a more practical and less inexpensive option, compared to keeping on buying regular ones. Keep these tips in mind, though, so your battery will always be useful.