How to Pop Your EarsPosted by
How to Pop Your Ears
There are many reasons why the ears become blocked; it can occur when you have a cold, when you swim or when you change altitudes and drive through high elevations too quickly. The sensation is like there’s cotton stuffed in your ear tubes and it feels very unpleasant. You need to pop your ears to remove this feeling. Here are some ways how to do it.
What You’ll Need:
- Hard candy
- Allergy tablet or decongestant
- Yawn. When you yawn, the Eustachian tubes are stretched causing them to open up and removing the air pressure in the middle ear. Open your mouth widely and yawn. Don’t fall asleep with your ears not popped yet, though, or the pressure will feel worse when you wake up.
- Swallow. If you know you’re traveling, then you’ll be able to anticipate the ear blockage. You can practice swallowing hard even before you take off, and in the air, just before the plane touches down. Swallowing causes the muscles that open the Eustachian tube to start working.
- Get a hard candy and suck on it, dissolving it in your mouth slowly. Doing this causes you to swallow repeatedly, which will then pop your ears.
- Chew. Just like swallowing, this helps very well too. The up and down action relieves the pressure by opening up the tubes. Get a piece of gum and chew it, until you feel the pressure being removed.
- Pinch your nostrils close then blow air. This will help release the pressure in your ears. Hold your nostrils tightly, so you can’t breathe through it, then take a deep breath. As you close your mouth, hold it in. Afterwards, forcefully press the air into the back of your nose, using your throat and cheek muscles. Repeat this until you hear a popping sound, or you feel the pressure lifted.
- Take a decongestant or an allergy tablet. If you’re on a plane and you’re aware of the landing time, take any of these medications an hour before. This will prevent pressure from building up when you land.
- Consult your doctor. If none of these work for you, you can ask help from a physician. He can create a small incision in your ear drum and pop your ears.
Why suffer the unpleasant sensation when you can easily pop your ears? Try these simple techniques. You’ll soon feel relieved and your hearing will go back to normal.