How to Make Cheese FonduePosted by monsterguide
How to Make Cheese Fondue
Enjoying delicious cheese fondue with some good friends will certainly be a pleasant way to spend an evening. Of course, if you don’t know how to properly make it, chances are your fondue will end up as a lumpy and oily mess that no one would like to dip in.
- Fondue pot (a double boiler will also be all right)
- Garlic clove
For the cheese:
- One teaspoon of cornstarch
- Two cups of dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/3 lb. of cheddar or Emmenthaler cheese
- 2/3 lbs. Of Gruyere cheese
- Juice from half a lemon
Foods for dipping:
- French bread
- Sliced fruits (apples and grapes)
- Veggies (Celery sticks, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
- You need a double boiler pot. Put water underneath and let the steam go up to the second pot, which you’ll be using for the fondue.
- Slice the garlic clove, so that the juice inside is exposed. Rub the clove all over the sides of your pot. The idea is to just heat the wine and not make it boil, so it melts the cheese but does not burn it.
- Put the wine inside the fondue pot, stirring in the cornstarch. Continue stirring until the cornstarch fully dissolves. Let the wine simmer under low heat. Add in the lemon juice. This helps break down the cheese better.
- Add the cheese. As it mixes with the wine, it should melt. Do this in moderate amounts, at least 1/4 cup at a time, stirring with a fork or stirrer constantly. Don’t add the cheese all at one time, or else you’ll end up with a lumpy and uneven mixture.
- Melt the cheese thoroughly. If the cheese appears to be oily, add flour to it bit by bit, stirring it the entire time. If it’s stringy, add in more lemon juice.
- Add the nutmeg and paprika for extra flavor.
- The cheese should be creamy and thick enough to dip a piece of bread in. If it’s too thick, though, add in more wine. Don’t add water. If it seems too thin, add in more cheese.
- Transfer the melted mixture into a fondue pot, and serve with the fruits, veggies and bread at the side.
Bonding over a warm pot of cheese fondue is a wonderful activity. Just remember these steps and you’ll end up with something delicious and tasty for everyone. Get ready to start dipping!
How to Make Cheese Fondue Image Gallery