How to Keep Mosquitoes AwayPosted by
How to Keep Mosquitoes Away
Mosquitoes are harmful; they carry diseases like Malaria, Dengue Hemorrhagic fever and West Nile Virus. There are several ways to prevent these diseases. One way is by keeping mosquitoes away from you and your home.
To get rid of mosquitoes at home:
- Have plants around or inside your house. Mosquitoes are attracted to certain scents. Choose plants that mosquitoes stay away from, like daisies, lemon grass, cedar, rosemary, peppermint, catnips and marigolds.
- Use window and door screens. Check if your screens are in good condition. Repair or replace them if they have holes.
- Use mosquito netting around your house or in your bedroom. Mosquito nets may not look attractive when you’re entertaining guests or hosting a party, but it’s better to be safe than be bothered by these dangerous mosquitoes.
- Buy an electrical mosquito killer. If you don’t have time to “mosquito proof” your home, but have money to spare, this is the easiest solution. There are different kinds of electric mosquito killers. some examples are zappers and attractant traps. Zappers are inexpensive. You can place them anywhere you like. You hear a buzzing sound every time a mosquito flies into a zapper. An attractant trap is more expensive. It requires a propane, attractant and sticky pads. You replace these materials every few months.
- Clean your surroundings. Make sure there is no stagnant water anywhere. These are good mosquito breeding sites.
- Lit citronella candles. Mosquitoes hate the smell of citronella.
To keep mosquitoes away from you:
- Avoid using perfumes. Mosquitoes are attracted to sweet scents. Try not to use scented soaps and lotions.
- Don’t wear bright colored clothes. Bright colors attract mosquitoes. Wear long-sleeved tops and long pants. If you don’t like to wear long pants, you can also use knee-high socks.
- Use a mosquito repellent before going out. There are different kinds available in the market. Be careful when buying one. Some may be too harsh on your skin. You can also make one for yourself. Use lemon eucalyptus oil or apple cider vinegar. Pour 5 drops of oil in a cup of water and put it in a spray bottle.
- Bring a few fabric softener dryer sheets when you go out. You can put these in your pockets or pin them on your clothes.
- Mosquitoes carrying the dengue virus bite during the day while those carrying malaria bite at night.
- Tropical and subtropical areas are at high risk for dengue fever and malaria.
- Mosquitoes don’t just get attracted to sweet scents. They are also drawn to heat, carbon dioxide and sweat.
- Keeping your surroundings clean is very important. Check areas where water may collect like roof gutters, old tires and pots. Clean these regularly or throw them away.
There are a lot of ways to get rid of mosquitoes. Choose what works well for you.