How to Fix a Hole in an Air MattressPosted by
How to Fix a Hole in an Air Mattress
Air mattresses are convenient beds for house guests and you can use them too when you’re camping or having a sleepover yourself. But there’s nothing as annoying as an unreliable air mattress which has somehow sprung an air leak. Learn how to fix a hole in your air mattress and get your good night sleep.
- Locate the leak. You can locate the leak in two ways. The first way is to fill up your air mattress and seal it, the way you would usually do. You should then locate the leak by keeping an ear out for the telltale hissing sound leaking air produces. You can even try sitting on the mattress to make the sound stronger. The second way is to take the air mattress outdoors, fill it with air and spreading soapy water all over it. The leaking air should produce more soap bubbles in one particular area than anywhere else.
- Deflate the mattress. Once you’ve located the leak or leaks, mark them using a piece of white adhesive or with a marker. If you’ve used soapy water to locate the leak, wipe off using paper towels before marking. Let the mattress completely dry before moving on to the next step.
- Use inner tube repair kits for bicycles. The easiest way to fix a hole in an air mattress is to get those inner tube repair kits for bicycles in your nearest home depot or bicycle shops. Using this kit will not last as long as the next two options, but they come as a set and with instructions. Simply take the pad and place it over the hole and glue in the pad’s edges. Next, take the patch and put glue on the bottom of the patch. Place the patch over the pad. Glue to seal the patch around the edges. Let it dry completely as instructed. Make sure that everything is patched in smoothly and securely, and that no air bubbles are left in the glue. This fix can last up from several months to a year.
- Use Marine Goop. Marine Goop is a very common item found in most home depot stores. Remember to use rubber gloves and a brush when applying this stuff-it’s very sticky! Apply Marine Goop 1/16 inch thick directly on the hole. Leave it to dry for up to 48 hours before re-filling the air mattress again. This fix can last up to two years.
- Use rubber cement. The quickest way to fix the hole in your air mattress is to apply rubber cement on it. Simply apply enough to cover the hole and allow to dry for several hours or overnight.