How to Drain Your SinusesPosted by monsterguide
How to Drain Your Sinuses
Stuffy nose or nasal congestion is not only caused by allergies. Infections, nonallergic rhinitis and structural problems may all lead to congestion. Here are some ways you can follow to drain your sinuses.
- This is the most common way to treat clogged nose.
- Fill a bowl with boiling water.
- Use a big towel and drape it over your head.
- Lean over the bowl and inhale with your nose.
- Do this for a few minutes.
- If you start to have a hard time breathing, lift the towel for a few seconds and do the procedure again.
- Adding a few drops of eucalyptus or peppermint oil is also a good idea.
- There are numerous nasal sprays in the market. Get yourself one and relieve that clogged nose fast. If you don’t want to buy a nasal spray, here are some steps you can follow to make one at home.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in a cup 1/4 filled with hot water.
- Stir until the salt and baking soda are dissolved properly.
- Fill the cup with cold water.
- You should now have a lukewarm solution.
- Get a nasal aspirator and fill it with the solution.
- Lean your head back and squeeze out a small amount of the solution into your clogged nostril.
- With your head still tilted backward, slowly move your head to the side to allow the solution to enter your sinus.
- Carefully tilt your head forward and allow the solution to drain out from your nostril.
Many people believe that pressure points on the face will help treat nasal congestion.
- Position your thumb in the middle of your forehead, a couple of centimeters above your eyebrows.
- With moderate pressure, push your thumb sideways to your temples.
With your thumb in the middle of your cheekbones, apply pressure and move your thumbs sideways going to your ears.
Take a Hot Shower
The steam from the shower will help relieve your clogged nose and relax your whole body.
Expectorants and Decongestants
There are over the counter medicines that you can buy to treat nasal congestion, but it’s safer to consult your doctor first before buying any.
Wrap a warm pack with a towel and put it on your forehead or nose. Do this for only a couple of minutes.
Mentholated Creams and Ointments
Buy Vicks vapo-rub and apply on your temples, under your nose, on your forehead and cheekbones. These are the areas where your sinuses are located.
The best way to prevent nasal congestion is to avoid allergens. Don’t eat foods that you’re allergic to and steer away from areas that may trigger an allergic reaction like a room where people are smoking or an area with animals. For more information regarding this article, read how to get rid of nasal congestion.