How to Dissolve GluePosted by monsterguide
How to Dissolve Glue
Glue is a highly useful item that’s great for various do-it-yourself tasks, but when you accidentally get it on other places it can be quite a nuisance. Fortunately, glue can be removed by dissolving it thoroughly. There are several different, but effective methods to do this. Here are a few ones you can try.
What You’ll Need:
- Light grain sandpaper
- Rubbing alcohol
- Paint thinner
- Soap and water
- Solvent cleaner
- Dull knife
Dissolving Glue on Your Skin
White glue can be easily rinsed out and dissolved, but if it’s super glue on your skin, then you have bigger problems. The most important thing to remember is to remove it as quickly as possible. If you work quickly enough, some soap and water will do the trick. If it’s started to cure, here’s what to do.
- Scrape as much off as you can. Use a light grain sandpaper to remove as much glue as possible.
- Put some paint thinner over the glue, rubbing it in, so you remove as much glue as you can. When the paint thinner dissolves the glue, clean off your hands with soap and water thoroughly.
- Rubbing alcohol also works. Put the affected area over a sink, then pour alcohol over it, rubbing it as if you’re washing it. Do this two or three times.
Dissolving Glue On Walls And Other Surfaces
When surfaces like glass, wood and plastic are stained with glue, here’s how to remove it properly.
- Try and peel the glue away, unless the surface is too delicate.
- If the glue remains, get a piece of ice and place it over the area. This causes the glue to harden and become brittle. Once chilled, see if it peels away.
- If the glue method still doesn’t work, get a solvent cleaner and see if it dissolves the glue. Find a citrus-based solvent, as it’s more environmentally friendly. Protect your hands with gloves and wear goggles to avoid the cleaner from getting in your eyes.
- Let the solvent cleaner sit on the area for a certain time, depending on the instructions given. Agitate and if necessary, use a scraper.
- When the glue dissolves, remove the cleaner from the area, depending on the given directions.
Dissolving Glue On Clothes
When glue accidentally sticks on clothes it can make the worst stains. Here’s how to get it off.
- Make sure the fabric is washable before you proceed. If it is, then soak the affected area in warm soapy water.
- Using a dull knife, see if you can scrape the excess glue off. Be careful, so the material won’t be damaged.
- Get some acetone and test its effect on the fabric, on a small inconspicuous area. If it doesn’t harm the cloth or discolor it, dab some acetone on the affected area. If needed, scrub the area a bit.
- When all the glue has been removed, wash the cloth thoroughly and let it dry.
Glue may be a difficult substance to deal with, but you don’t have to live with its damage. With these tips, you’ll never find yourself in a sticky situation again. For more information regarding this article, read how to get rid of super glue.
How to Dissolve Glue Image Gallery