How to Block Pop Up AdsPosted by
How to Block Pop Up Ads
A good browsing experience can be marred by the appearance of pop up ads. These advertisements frantically appear on your screen while online, which is pretty annoying. What’s worse is, they often have adult themes and bring malware to your computer. You should clearly protect your computer and your kids from these irritating ads.
Install Google/Yahoo Toolbar
Search engines Google and Yahoo both offer toolbars that have pop-up blockers. Once you browse the internet, these applications automatically weed out pop-up ads. Their efficacy, however, pales in comparison to the blockers of comprehensive anti-virus programs. They can function as your computer’s first line of defense against those annoying ads.
How to Download:
- Go online and head to Google or Yahoo.
- Search for either “Google toolbar” or “Yahoo toolbar.”
- Once done, click the search’s very first result, which brings you to a Google’s or Yahoo’s toolbar page.
- Click on “Download” or “Download Yahoo! Toolbar.” A screen containing the software license agreement will appear.
- Click “I Agree.”
- Click “Install Now” or “Download.”
When you have installed the toolbar, its pop-up blocker will take care of some of the ads. You must boost it with other pop-up blockers to increase the number of ads rejected.
Mozilla Firefox, with its beefed up security system, is a pretty secure browser, especially when it comes to blocking ads. Its pop-up blocker is much better than the ones offered by Google and Yahoo!. It can block more ads and deny entry to some malware. No wonder Firefox is the preferred browser of millions of people worldwide.
How to Download:
- Go to a reputable search engine and search for “Firefox download.”
- Click on the first result that appears, which brings you to Mozilla’s homepage.
- Click “Firefox 3 Download.”
- Wait for a small screen to appear then click “Run.”
- Once the download has finished, another small screen will appear. Click “Run.”
- A Firefox Setup Wizard will appear. Follow the instructions closely until it eventually installs Firefox on your computer.
- After the installation, check your computer’s desktop for a Mozilla Firefox icon. Double click the icon and you’re all set.
With both the toolbar and Firefox in your computer, your computer has significant protection over malware and pop-up ads. The combination, however, is still not enough, given the ability of some ads to break through the two blockers. You need one last component to totally protect your computer – a comprehensive antivirus program.
In the past, antivirus and anti-spyware programs were better taken independently. Program developers recently fused the functions of both program types into one. In addition, other security features, like email phishing filters and pop-up ad blockers, were included. You can download free anti-virus programs but the ones that offer the best security are only available through purchase. Here are some of the recommended anti-virus programs:
- Bit Defender
- Active Virus Shield by Aol
Once you have installed and updated your antivirus, the chance of pop-up ads to appear on your computer is pretty low. If they do, the antivirus can certainly wipe out the malicious programs that they bring along. Just scan your computer and your pop-up problem is over.